Freshman Year Portfolio Planning Guide
- Begin your Career Development Portfolio.
- Assess your interests, skills, values, goals, and personality.
- Go to the career center in your school and explore majors and careers.
- Set goals for your first year.
- Write a résumé.
- Network with professors and students. Concentrate on getting good grades,
adjusting to college, and getting to know instructors.
- Keep a journal for reflection. Label the first section Self-Assessment and
begin to write your autobiography. Label another section Exploring Careers.
- If time permits, get a part-time job. Check out your school's placement office
- Get a summer job to help you explore jobs, gain work experience, learn to
get along with others, and earn money.
- Talk with people. Find out what they like and do not like about their jobs.